Attempted my first chocolate skin mooncake and wanted to share it with you. The recipe is what I found on CHOC MOONCAKE RECIPE
The recipe is foolproof many times(at least 8) and its rather simple to follow. Preparation to weight the dough and fillings might be a little time consuming but it will be a lot quicker if you have some helping hands in the kitchen. I have invested in different smaller mooncake moulds in 2015 and its always fun to play with the different designs of the mould. Bear in mind that each mould comes in different sizes so you might want to take down your notes somewhere.
225g Plain flour
36g cocoa powder (I added 1 Tsp of Choc Emulco)
170g Sugar syrup
50g Peanut Oil
1 tsp Alkaline water
1/8 tsp Baking soda
830g lotus paste (any paste you prefer)
40g roasted melon seeds
1. Mix the sugar syrup, peanut oil and alkaline water together until well combined
2. Sift flour and cocoa powder into liquid mixture. Mix it up until it becomes soft dough. Cover with cling wrap and let it rest for 30 min.
3. Meanwhile, mix the lotus paste with melon seeds, divide into portions(30g for 50g moulds).
4. Divide the dough into equal portion and roll into balls.
5. Wrap in lotus paste, roll it into a ball. Dust with some flour and press firmly into mould. Unmould the mooncake and place it on baking tray.
6. Bake at preheated oven 170 degree Celsius for 10 minute before removing from the oven to cool down for about 15 minutes. Then put in back into oven at 170 degree Celsius and bake for another 10-15 minutes (I baked mine at 160 degree Celsius since its hotter with built in fan).