Translate

Friday, January 21, 2022

Indonesian Layer Cake/Lapis Legit/Kuih Lapis/千层蛋糕

This is a very popular cake in South East Asia and its not easy to find one that I really like. The authentic recipe calls for Wijsman butter and only use egg yolks to produce a more dense and aromatic flavor. Since I can't get Wisjman butter here, I tried making one with Kerrygold butter and it turned out just as rich and nice. I was told that there are many variartions of the layer cake depending on the region you are from (Riub, Sumatra, Jakarta, Kalimantan...etc). The best way to consumed this cake is couple days after the cake is baked. You do need to preheat the oven and the baking tray the same time before baking. This cake requires the boiler heat setting to bake each later (except for first layer). P/S: Yes, I used 30 eggs for this 8" cake. Don't be intimidated by the number of eggs as this is turn out to be a very aromatic cake and also a great gift for special occasions like Chinese New Year/Christmas. You may find the RECIPE and let me know how you like it if you have decided to make one.

No comments: